Avoiding the Care You Don’t Need
Overuse of medical procedures can lead to stress, unnecessary costs for follow-up of false-positive results, excess exposure to radiation and even major complications or death. Before any test or procedure ask your doctor these questions:
- What is the purpose of this test or procedure?
- Is this test definitive or will more tests be needed? Are the results accurate?
- What is the cost? Are there less expensive alternatives?
- Can it be done at an outpatient surgery center rather than at a hospital?
- Might there be any discomfort or complications?
- What will happen if I don’t have the test or procedure?
Browse our online health library to learn more about specific procedures.
5 comonly overused tests
5 comonly overused medical procedures
Hill Health Magazine main | Archive