We’re proud to have been a pillar of the Northern Californian healthcare community for more than 30 years.
In the Beginning
It all began in 1984 in an Oakland, California, neighborhood nicknamed “Pill Hill.” Two businessmen, Steve McDermott and Darryl Cardoza, joined together with a group of physicians to tackle two challenges facing the healthcare industry: preserving the role of the independent physician and providing affordable, quality care that was mindful of overall cost trends.
And with that, Hill Physicians Medical Group and PriMed Management Consulting Services were born.
Growth Over the Years
By adapting to both the demands of the industry and the needs of consumers, we’ve remained stable and profitable.
We’ve expanded our reach from just the Bay Area to include counties in the Sacramento Area and the Central Valley. Our service area now ranges from the Pacific Ocean to the Sierra Nevadas.
Additionally, we’ve brought on several new lines of business and entered into many strategic partnerships. Here are a few notable milestones.
- 2009: Hill Physicians takes on Medi-Cal members.
- 2010: Hill Physicians enters into the CalPERS accountable care organization (ACO), the first of many ACO relationships to come.
- 2014: Blue Shield of California and Anthem Blue Cross are added to PriMed’s ownership structure.
- 2015: Hill Physicians takes on PPO members.
- 2018: Hill Physicians enters into its first clinically integrated network (CIN) with Health Net, with other CINs following suit.